The YF-19 Prototype Advanced Variable Fighter (AVF) was designed and built in 2039 by Shinsei Industries as their entry into the Project Super Nova design contest being conducted by the UN Spacy. Project Super Nova's main purpose was to develop a new variable fighter to replace the aging VF-11 Thunderbolt as the main fighter for UN Spacy military forces. The YF-19 was one of two fighters selected for the final competition at the New Edwards Flight Center on planet Eden; the other design being the YF-21 AVF developed by General Galaxy. The YF-19 was developed by Yan Newmann, the child genius of Shinsei Industries.
The YF-19 was plagued with problems and mishaps throughout the course of the contest. Due to difficulties in controlling such a powerful variable fighter, the prototype was damaged several times and several test pilots were killed during the early trials of the aircraft. Eventually Lt. Isamu Dyson, a talented but reckless UN Spacy pilot, was assigned to test the YF-19 and quickly proved himself to be a competent pilot for the prototype. However, during a mock duel between the YF-19 and YF-21, the YF-19 was damaged by a discharge from its own GU-15 gun pod, almost killing Lt. Dyson in the process. Shortly thereafter, Project Super Nova was halted under direct order of the UN Spacy after the development of the Ghost X-9 Unmanned Fighter in February 2040 was completed. Not satisfied with the cancellation of the project, Lt. Dyson and Yan Newmann stole the YF-19 and its fold booster and made an unauthorized fold from Eden to Earth. The YF-21 prototype was ordered to pursue the YF-19, and the two prototypes engaged in combat again during the Macross 30th Anniversary Celebration on Earth. However, the grudge match between the two pilots was interrupted by the newly completed AI system for pop singer Sharon Apple who took control of the entire computer system for Earth and attempted to enslave its entire population through holographic hypnosis. The two prototypes fought against Sharon and the Ghost X-9 prototype she controlled, and the YF-19 managed to break through the AI's defenses and destroy her CPU aboard the SDF Macross.
After the smoke from the incident had settled, the YF-19 was declared the winner of the Project Super Nova competition. Dubbed the VF-19 Excalibur, the new fighter has begun slowly replacing the VF-11 Thunderbolt as the main tactical superiority fighter for the UN Spacy since 2040. However, it will be several years before the new design comes into service with all deep space forces and colony missions spread throughout the galaxy. Several variations of the new design have begun to appear already, including the VF-19 Kai "Fire Valkyrie" variant aboard the Macross 7, operating near the core of the galaxy. Most of these variants are one-of-a-kind special operations fighters and are not widely distributed.
Vehicle Type: YF-19 (Initial Prototype for Project Super Nova, callsign "Alpha One") Class: Advanced Variable Fighter (Prototype) Manufacturer: Shinsei Industries Crew: One pilot wearing Tactical Life Support System. A rear seat for a second pilot/navigator can also be added if necessary for specific missions.
MDC BY LOCATION:
Head Pulse Laser 30 (1) Head 100 Hands (2) 50 each Arms (2) 110 each Shoulders (2) 125 each Legs & Thrusters (2) 220 each (2) Main Body 375 Canard Forward Wings (2) 30 each Main Wings (2) 150 each Tails (2) 50 each GU-15 Gun Pod 100 Anti-Projectile Shield 150 (3) Pinpoint Barrier Shield 100
Reinforced Pilot Compartment/Escape Pod 150
1. Destroying the head of the YF-19 will knock out the mecha's major sensor systems, including all of the optics systems (infrared, nightvision, thermal). Radar and communications will be unaffected. 2. Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the mecha. The pilot and cockpit section/escape pod will be automatically ejected from the doomed mecha before it explodes by the mecha's main computer. 3. The pinpoint barrier shield regenerates at a rate of 50 MDC per round. Even if completely destroyed the shield will regenerate within 2 melee rounds. The shield is usually generated on the right arm of the YF-19.
RUNNING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION: 120 mph (192 kmph) LEAPING, SOLDIER CONFIGURATION: 50 ft (15 m) high or 70 ft (21 m) long without thrusters. FLYING, GERWALK/SOLDIER CONFIGURATION: Mach One (670 mph/1072 kmph) maximum speed limit in an Earth-like atmosphere. Can also hover in place indefinitely. FLYING, FIGHTER CONFIGURATION: Mach 3.5+ (2345 mph/3572 kmph) max speed at 10,000 meters or less above sea level. Mach 5.1+ (3417 mph/5205 kmph) max speed at 10,000-30,000 meters above sea level. Mach 24+ (16,080 mph/24,494 kmph) max speed at 30,000+ meters above sea level, for a maximum of 5 seconds. Cruising speed is usually Mach 1.8 (1206 mph/1837 kmph). The YF-19 is capable of achieving orbital velocity over an Earth-class planet without additional rocket assistance. Maximum rate of ascent is 65,000 meters/minute. Structural G limits are +31.0 to -18.5 Earth gravities. MAX ENGINE THRUST: 42,700 kg x2 in an atmosphere, 67,500 kg x2 in space. The maximum thrust is automatically limited in an atmosphere due to coolant problems with the optional air intake systems for the engines.
HEIGHT: 46.52 ft (14.54 m) in soldier configuration. 25.59 ft (8.00 m) in gerwalk configuration. 12.60 ft (3.94 m) in fighter configuration. WIDTH: 20.80 ft (6.50 m) at shoulders in soldier configuration. 47.65 ft (14.89 m) in gerwalk or fighter configuration with wings at maximum extension. LENGTH: 14.29 ft (4.47 m) in soldier configuration. 41.69 ft (13.03 m) in gerwalk configuration. 59.55 ft (18.62 m) in fighter configuration. WEIGHT: 8750 kg empty. Maximum takeoff weight in an atmosphere is 37,509 kg, and maximum weight in space with optional fold booster is 46,102 kg (weights beyond that exceed theoretical safe limit for fold booster).
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Equal to a P.S. of 60 CARGO: Small compartment behind pilot's seat for personal belongings. POWER PLANT: Two 67,500 kg Shinnakasu Industry/Pratt & Whitney/Rolls Royce FF-2500E thermonuclear turbine engines, designed for dual atmosphere/space use with optional concealed air intakes for use in an Earth-type atmosphere. Two 2-dimensional independentent convergent/divergent exhaust are equipped on the FF-2500E for greater maneuverability and V/STOL performance. In addition, several Pratt & Whitney HMM-6J high-maneuverability vernier thrusters are mounted on the wingtips, vertical stabilizers, nose, and other key locations for added performance. Additional thruster options include an external fold generator developed for use with Project Super Nova. COMPATIBLE FAST PACKS: Dorsal: NR-BP-19, NR-BP-19-SES Leg: NP-FB-19 Special: NR-ARFB-Y1
1. MAULER REB-30G ANTI-AIRCRAFT PULSE LASER: The YF-19 mounts a single pulse laser for use in air combat skirmishes and for defensive purposes. The laser is mounted on the head of the mecha in soldier mode, and is located in the central dorsal section of the main body pointed rearward in fighter and gerwalk modes. The laser can only fire to the REAR of the fighter in these modes; it cannot be turned to fire along another arc.
* PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-aircraft * SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-missile/defensive * RANGE: 4000 feet (1200 m) * DAMAGE: 2D4 M.D. * RATE OF FIRE: The laser can be fired in rapid pulses up to 4 blasts per round. A rapid fire blast counts as a burst of up to 4 shots. * PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
2. MAULER REB-23 LASER GUNS: Two semi-fixed laser guns are mounted in the wings of the YF-19, near the base of the wing where it connects to the main body. These lasers can be fired in any mode (the beams exit the hip-mounted wing units in soldier mode) but can only be aimed along the front arc of the mecha (max angle is about 45 degrees in any direction from the nose).
* PRIMARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha * SECONDARY PURPOSE: Air-to-ground strafing runs * RANGE: 4000 feet (1200 m) * DAMAGE: 1D4 M.D. per laser for a single shot, 1D4x10 M.D. for a burst (counts as one attack). * RATE OF FIRE: Single shots or bursts only. The cannons can be fire-linked so that firing both cannons at the same time counts as one attack (does double damage). * PAYLOAD: Effectively Unlimited.
3. HOWARD GU-15 EXTERNAL GUN POD: The main weapon of the YF-19 is the new GU-15 Gun Pod produced by Howard Industries. The gun pod is mounted on a special hardpoint below the AVF in fighter mode, and is hand-held in gerwalk and soldier modes. Unlike the gun pods used by the original VF-1 Valkyrie, the GU-15 uses clips of ammo instead of a self-contained supply in the barrel of the gun. Two spare clips for the GU-15 are mounted on the back of the YF-19's bulletproof shield; replacing a clip takes two melee actions and can only be done in Gerwalk or Soldier mode.
* PRIMARY PURPOSE: Assault * SECONDARY PURPOSE: Anti-mecha * RANGE: 4000 feet (1200 m) * DAMAGE: Does 4D6 M.D. for a short burst, 1D6x10 M.D. for a long burst, or 2D6x10 M.D. for a full melee burst. * RATE OF FIRE: Equal to the number of combined attacks of the pilot. * PAYLOAD: Each clip holds 400 rounds, equal to 40 short bursts, 20 long bursts, or 10 full melee bursts.
4. BODY/WING HARD POINTS: Two fixed hard points are mounted on the fuselage of the YF-19, and an additional two hardpoints are mounted on each wing for a total of 6 hardpoints on the fighter. These hardpoints can be used to hold a variety of different ordinance types, including long, medium, or short range missiles, or even the new medium-range high-maneuverability (MRHM) missiles. One long range, one MRHM, 3 medium range, or 5 short range missiles can be mounted per hardpoint. Usually long range or MRHM missiles are issued.
NOTE: Due to the location of the hard points, ALL missiles must be fired or ejected before the YF-19 may convert into soldier mode. For this reason the hard point missiles are usually fired within the first few passes of an attack.
* MEDIUM RANGE HIGH MANEUVERABILITY MISSILES o Primary Purpose: Anti-Mecha o Secondary Purpose: Surgical Strikes o Mega-Damage: 2D6x10 M.D. o Rate of Fire: One per hardpoint. o Range: 80 miles. o Payload: One per hardpoint; 6 maximum. * LONG RANGE MISSILES o Primary Purpose: Heavy Assault o Secondary Purpose: Anti-Spacecraft o Missile Types: Any type of standard UN Spacy Long Range Missile can be used. o Range: Varies with missile type. o Damage: Varies with missile type. o Rate of Fire: One or two. o Payload: One per hardpoint; 6 maximum. * MEDIUM RANGE MISSILES o Primary Purpose: Assault o Secondary Purpose: Anti-Mecha o Missile Types: Any type of standard UN Spacy Medium Range Missile can be used. o Range: Varies with missile type. o Damage: Varies with missile type. o Rate of Fire: 1-3 missiles per hardpoint. o Payload: Three per hardpoint; up to 18 maximum. * SHORT RANGE MISSILES o Primary Purpose: Assault o Secondary Purpose: Anti-Mecha o Missile Types: Any type of standard UN Spacy Short Range Missile can be used. o Range: Varies with missile type. o Damage: Varies with missile type. o Rate of Fire: 1-5 missiles per hardpoint. o Payload: Five per hardpoint; up to 30 maximum.
5. INTERNAL LEG-MOUNTED MISSILE BAYS: Each leg of the YF-19 contains an enclosed missile bay which can be customized for different mission objectives and carry a variety of different missile types. When armed, the launcher assemblies extend from the sides of the legs, allowing all missiles to be fired at once if necessary. The missiles can be fired in any mode. The missile launchers can be equipped to hold standard SRM missiles, the new Bifors BMM-24 all- environment high-maneuverability micro-missiles (NOTE: These are NOT the medium-range versions of the high-maneuverability missiles seen in Macross Plus #1), or one long-range missile each. In order to carry different types of missiles the launchers must be refitted at a UN Spacy base prior to loading.
* SRM/BMM-24 MISSILES o Primary Purpose: Assault o Range: 5 miles (8 km). o Damage: 1D6x10 M.D. o Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-9 missiles per launcher, per round. One volley counts as one attack. If necessary, all 18 missiles can be fired in a single round by expending two attacks. o Bonuses: The BMM-24 micro-missiles have a +6 to strike and +5 to dodge, and get 3 attacks per round until they hit or are destroyed. o Payload: 9 missiles per launcher; 18 total. * LONG RANGE MISSILES o Primary Purpose: Heavy Assault o Missile Types: Any type of standard UN Spacy Long Range Missile except Nuclear Multi-Warhead and Nuclear Anti-Warship can be used. o Range: Varies with missile type. o Damage: Varies with missile type. o Rate of Fire: Firing each missile counts as one attack. o Payload: 1 missile per launcher; 2 total.
6. HOWARD PBS-03F PIN-POINT BARRIER SYSTEM: The YF-19 is equipped with a new mecha-scale pinpoint barrier system for defense. The system can generate a single pinpoint barrier that can be moved anywhere on the mecha and used as a shield against incoming attacks. The barrier provides 100 MDC of protection, and regenerates at a rate of 50 MDC per round when damaged. Even if destroyed by combined attacks, the shield will regenerate itself within 2 rounds. In order to use the shield, the pilot must make a successful parry roll to intercept an incoming attack.
* Primary Purpose: Defense * Protection: 100 MDC total * Regeneration Rate: 50 MDC per round. * Size: The barrier can be up to 10 ft (3 m) in diameter. * Duration: Unlimited.
7. HAND TO HAND COMBAT: If necessary, the YF-19 can engage in melee combat rather than use a weapon. The AVF is extremely agile and can execute most typical hand to hand combat moves, such as punches, jump kicks, leap attacks, rolling with impacts, etc.
DAMAGE: * Restrained Punch: 1D6 M.D. * Full Strength Punch: 3D6 M.D. * "Booster" Punch: 4D6 M.D. (counts as two attacks) * Tear or Pry with Hands: 2D4 M.D. * Kick: 2D4 M.D. * Leap Kick: 3D6 M.D. * Body Flip/Throw: 1D6 M.D. * Body Block/Tackle: 2D6 M.D. * Stomp: 2D6 M.D. (only effective against small objects)
STANDARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE YF-19:
* ACTIVE STEALTH SYSTEM: Although not originally included in the design, the YF-19 was upgraded to include an active stealth system similar to the YF-21's during the Project Super Nova trials. Unlike passive stealth systems like those used by the VF-17 Nightmare or the old USAF F-117, the YF-19's stealth system is actually bends radar waves around the mecha rather than reflecting them. The YF-19's stealth system is not quite as good as the YF-21's due to sacrifices that had to be made in order to fit the system into the YF-19's fuselage. When activated, this system gives the YF-19 a +3 on initiative (but no bonus to strike) at all times.
NOTE: Since the YF-19's stealth capability is a system and not a feature of the design, it can be damaged or destroyed. Once the mecha has lost half of its main body MDC, there is a 50% chance that the stealth system will fail every time the main body of the craft is hit. Once the stealth system has failed, it will not work again until repaired at a UN Spacy base. * AUTO-PILOT: The YF-19 is equipped with a computerized auto-pilot, allowing the pilot to relax or even sleep during long voyages. The auto- pilot can be programmed with a single destination or a complex flight plan involving multiple speeds, directions, and destinations. The onboard computer will alert the pilot when the fighter is near its destination, and can also be set to automatically signal when sensors detect objects near the mecha. The auto-pilot was designed with long intra-system space journeys in mind. * COMBAT COMPUTER: The YF-19 is equipped with an advanced AI combat computer that can store and analyze data during combat with hostile forces. Data collected by the combat computer can be displayed on the virtual environment cockpit of the mecha (see below), which allows the system to display large amounts of data to the pilot and even highlight enemies and missile attacks with overlaid graphics. The combat computer tracks and identifies specific enemy targets, and has a database of over 10,000 images stored in memory. The computer can identify and track up to 250 targets simultaneously. * COPILOT SEAT: The YF-19 can be equipped with a second pilot's seat behind the main pilot's seat for an optional copilot, if necessary. The copilot will usually act as the navigator for the YF-19 and will be responsible for operating the mecha's fold booster (if equipped). The copilot can assume command of the YF-19 if the pilot becomes incapacitated. * ESCAPE POD: The entire reinforced cockpit of the YF-19 is a detachable escape pod that can be jettisoned when the mecha is destroyed. The ejected cockpit does not contain thrusters, but does contain a powerful locator beacon and an integrated life support system that can support the pilot for up to 24 hours after ejection. The pod is also equipped with parachutes in case of ejection in an atmosphere. The combat computer is programmed to automatically eject the escape pod if the mecha is destroyed (main body MDC reduced to 0), but this can be overridden if the pilot is feeling suicidal for some reason. * EXTERNAL AUDIO PICKUP: Range: 300 ft (91.5 m). A sound amplification system that can pick up normal conversation up to 300 feet away. * HEAT AND RADIATION SHIELDS: Special shielding prevents the penetration of life threatening head and radiation. A radiation detection and alarm system are linked with the shields and will sound an alarm if there is a rupture in the shields and what the levels of radiation are. * HOMING SIGNAL: The escape pod of the YF-19 is equipped with a homing device that enables rescue teams to locate a disabled craft or ejected life pod. The range of the signal is 400 miles (640 km). Most UN Spacy ships and variable fighters can locate and track a homing signal, and the onboard computers will automatically notify their pilots if such a signal is detected. * LASER TARGETING SYSTEM: Range: 100 miles (160 km). Used for increased accuracy in the striking of enemy targets and is partly responsible for the mecha's strike bonus. * LOUDSPEAKER: A loudspeaker system is built into the craft, which can be used to amplify the pilot's voice up to 90 decibels. * OPTICS: INFRARED: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). This optical system projects a beam of infrared light that is invisible to the normal eye, but detectable by the mecha's sensors. The system allows the pilot to detect hidden/concealed objects by their IR reflectiveness. The beam will be visible to anyone with IR sensitive optics, however. * OPTICS: NIGHTVISION: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive light image intensifier that emits no light of its own, but relies on ambient light which is electronically amplified to produce a visible picture. * OPTICS: THERMAL IMAGER: Range: 2000 feet (610 m). A passive optical heat sensor that detects infrared radiation projected by warm objects and converts that data into a false-color visible image. The system enables the pilot to see in the dark, in shadows, and through smoke, and also adds a +10% bonus to pilots using a tracking skill. * RADAR: 200 mile (321 km) range. * RADIO/VIDEO COMMUNICATION: Long range, directional communications system with satellite relay capabilities. Range: 600 miles (960 km) or can be boosted indefinitely via satellite relay. * SELF-DESTRUCT: To prevent capture of an advance variable fighter by the enemy, the pilot can activate the YF-19's self-destruct system, which will cause the fighter to explode after a delay of up to 60 minutes (time is set by the pilot). The explosive damage is contained within a 20 foot (6 m) area and inflicts 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within the radius of the explosion. All internal systems are obliterated. The escape pod will be automatically ejected prior to the explosion unless the pilot overrides the ejection sequence. * STANDARD SURVIVAL KIT: All UN Spacy VFs come equipped with a portable survival kit. Inside the small reinforced box is a medium-sized flashlight, two hand flares, one rocket flare, a compass, infrared distancing binoculars, a small mirror, a pocket knife, dehydrated and concentrated food (can be stretched into a five day supply for one person) and basic first aid items (aspirin, bandages, disinfectants, etc.) * TACTICAL LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM: The YF-19's cockpit is pressurized, and also provides additional air feeds to the pilot's flight suit that provides him with pressurized breathing. The UN Spacy flight suit also contains an upper and lower g-suit that promotes blood circulation even during high-g turns, thus decreasing the possibility of pilot's blacking out in combat. * VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT COCKPIT: The YF-19 is equipped with an innovative new cockpit layout that provides monitors below and around the pilot in addition to the HUD cockpit dome. In flight, these monitors display what is below and behind the aircraft, giving the pilot a tremendous field of view that is unparalled by any other aircraft (with the possible exception of the YF-21's brain-direct imaging system). This wide view in addition to the combat computer's cockpit overlays give the YF-19 a +1 to dodge and initiative rolls in addition to any other bonuses.
COMBAT BONUSES FOR YF-19 FIGHTER TRAINING:
NOTE: Due to the prototype nature of the YF-19, it is highly recommended that no player be allowed to start the game with YF-19 combat training (unless the GM is running a post-Macross 7 campaign). Untrained pilots should get bonuses equal to Basic Variable Fighter Combat Training when piloting the YF-19, and military pilots with no prior YF-19 experience should get full bonuses from Advanced VF-11 Thunderbolt Combat Training. Players should only be allowed to get advanced training for the YF-19 when their characters have accumulated enough experience to acquire new skills.
ADVANCED YF-19/VF-19 AVF COMBAT TRAINING
* Advanced training for pilots specializing in the YF-19/VF-19. * 4 attacks per melee (plus those of the pilot). * Add one additional action/attack at levels two, five, seven, and ten. * +2 on initiative (+5 when using Active Stealth System). * +3 to strike * +4 to parry * +4 to dodge in solder mode, +6 in gerwalk, +8 in jet mode. * +3 to roll with a punch or fall with an impact, reducing damage by half. * +3 to leap dodge. A leap dodge is an automatic dodge which causes no loss of attacks per melee. The new generation variable fighters are so maneuverable that the pilot can dodge an attack while moving to counterattack an enemy. * Critical strike same as pilot's hand-to-hand. * Body block/tackle/ram - 2D4 M.D. plus a 50% chance of knocking an opponent down, causing him to loose initiative and one attack that melee round.
:wave: Hello dear
deviants,I'm here on
the behalf of The
to let you know that
the submissions for
the 3rd and last
Theme of our
annual Contest "The
Colours of Renewal"
are closed and now
it's time to
below the works
entering our 3rd
one of our polls at
, there are many
people who don't
know how to suggest
a Daily Deviation -
too many, really. In
this article you'll
learn all about
it'll be focused on
category, but the
general rules are
the same for all
rt:Gifts from dear
art! Thank you
you to following
Beauty can be found
feature is for the
beautiful people on
deviantART and their
last but not least:
Thank you, Ines, for
you for these
Welcome to MAY
you for being here
whether you are a
Member yet or not!We
welcome you and your
continue to grow
each month, with
artists of a variety
of art media!We are
so close to 4,000
`ChewedKandi has certainly gone out of her way to keep the vector community on the right path. Always making sure that her talents are infinitely scalable, Sharon has put her bezier curves to excellent use, and firmly anchored herself as an inspirational leader. We're absolutely delighted to bestow the Deviousness Award for June 2013 to `ChewedKandi. Congratulations, Sharon! Read More